Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Bitch, bitch, bitch

I am a bitch. I get it. Those that know me get it. It's a necessity at times. So why is being called a bitch considered an insult?

I am a manager - at work and sadly, at home. My being known as a bitch is enough to get things done. I don't even have to say anything, my very presence with the bitch-factor built in, is enough to get people to stop talking, and start working.

What makes me laugh is that the people that know me best can't understand what about me other people find so scary.

Perhaps I'm in need of a definition. Let's see - what is a bitch?

bitch –noun
1. a female dog.
2.a female of canines generally.
3.Slang.
a. a malicious, unpleasant, selfish person, esp. a woman.
b. a lewd woman.
4. Slang.
a. a complaint.
b. anything difficult or unpleasant: The test was a bitch.
c. anything memorable, esp. something exceptionally good: That last big party he threw was a real bitch.

–verb (used without object)
5. Slang. to complain; gripe: They bitched about the service, then about the bill.

–verb (used with object)
6. Slang. to spoil; bungle (sometimes fol. by up): He bitched the job completely. You really bitched up this math problem.

Ok, well, that was educational. I have never heard the word bitch used as the example in section 6. I also wonder about how words can mean the exact opposite thing - such as 4b and 4c.

Well, in my case, I'm not of the canine persuasion, so I think we can rule out the first two definitions. Am I a malicious, unpleasant, selfish or lewd woman - sure, at times - however, my bitchiness factor rating probably doesn't apply to any of those, as it's usually work related, and I'm not pushing people for selfish reasons, and I keep my usual sense of humor to a low hum. Can I be unpleasant - absolutely, is that it??? Hmm.. let's keep going... Ah... I think we have a winner - anything difficult or unpleasant. Am I difficult - absolutely! I have high expectations for people, most especially for myself.

So, that brings me back around to the original question - why is being called a bitch an insult? Aren't we taught that we have to face challenges to overcome them? Are we taught that difficult situations build character? Aren't we taught that anything worth having is worth working hard for?

Well, I need to get back to work - so all I can say is - Bitches of the World - UNITE!

3 comments:

alienbody said...

I have always found it interesting that a woman exhibiting the same traits as a highly respected man in the workplace, is considered a bitch in the most derogatory sense. I think that sentiment is changing with younger people coming into the workforce. I truly believe that competent business women were threatening to the older male generation. Yes, I agree...BITCHES OF THE WORLD MUST UNITE! Of course, I still don't get what makes people afraid of you. Bewilders me.

Chickenbells said...

You go bitches!!!

thatgirldina said...

What up Bitches?!?! (or is that Bee-otch?)

Based completely on this post, I have a little gift I'd like to bring to work for you tomorrow. You will love it. I promise.