Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day

Ok, yes, it's Valentine's Day - happy, happy, hearts, kisses, love, love, love...

Now that we've gotten that out of the way...

Now you all know that I don't mean it. I love love. I love romance. I love flowers, and presents that sparkle. I love notes expressing undying love, and I love being told that someone loves me.

What I don't love is why it has to be on one specific day.

I like Valentine's Day, I do... but not if it's going to be a huge contrast between February 13th, February 15th, and March 27th, April 17th, etc., etc., etc.

I remember reading once that Valentine's Day was the original Mother's Day. That it was designed to show love to your mom. Not sure when Victoria's Secret joined the party, but for all our sakes, I'm hoping it's much, much later.

Yes, I got D a Valentine's Day card, two actually, but that's it. No extravagant presents, no flat-screen TV, no surprise trips to Venice. I'm hoping we'll have a nice evening together, shopping for his daughter's birthday presents, and ordering her birthday cake, talking to my kids on the phone... wait a minute - yep, that could be any other day.

That's a good Valentine's Day to me.

1 comment:

Chickenbells said...

Well, actually V-Day was first celebrated as a romantic holiday by Chaucer and his cronies...

I actually take the day to make special little cards for the people in my life...which isn't much different from any other holiday anymore...oh, except I had chocolate for breakfast...oh wait, not too different there either. But, I will be over for a snugggle, dinner and a movie with my sweetie tonight...damn. Not too different...sigh.