Friday, May 4, 2007

I Love Foreplay

No, not that kind, although that's pretty good, too.

I mean that I love the anticipation almost as much as the actuality. I've known this about myself for a while. I love the minute before the great movie starts. I love the last commercial before my show comes on TV. I love seeing the waiter bring my dinner - from across the room. I love that quiet moment when I've heard my son's bedroom door open, but he hasn't yet made it to mine.



I was reminded by this tonight. There was a package waiting for me when I got home. Since I joined swap-bot, I get non-financially-demanding mail fairly regularly - but an actual box? Hadn't happened yet. But there it was. Waiting for me.








I brought the box inside and looked at it. I set the package aside and went out to greet my family.

I came back in and there it was again - a lovely box just waiting for me. I checked out all sides to see if there were any markings on any of the sides. None. I checked to see who it was from. Nobody I knew. (I'm waiting on a package that I'm not allowed to open until Mother's Day, so I had to check to see if it was "safe") I was in the clear. I set the package aside, and decided tonight would be a good night for pizza. I lovingly looked at the box again, then gathered up my children and husband and headed out.

I knew it was there, I could have torn into it at any time - that's what made it that much sweeter.

After dinner - the children are getting ready for bed, it's time. First, the package is slowly stripped of it's label, outside tape, and a piece of pretty purple paper in the label pouch. Then I wait again. I say goodnight to my children, get my hugs and kisses and exchange my "I love yous".

Then the package is unzipped - using my daughter's craft scissors, I slice up the middle - that last sticky barrier between me and my treasure - whatever it might be.







Ah - a note and lovely tissue paper - hiding the true nature of the gift. I read the note and learn that inside this secretive package are... flip flops! Ah yes, I know to many the allure would end - but not to me - there is still more to discover - what color will they be? Is there anything else in the package? Layer by layer, shedding it's secrets, my goodies are revealed.




While they are absolutely perfect, I am still a little saddened - while what was in it is great, it's now over - the package is bare, the prizes reviewed, all that's left is after-glow.








3 comments:

Chickenbells said...

I love good mail days...sigh.

alienbody said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
alienbody said...

I started to blush just reading it. I think I need some mail foreplay.