Monday, May 7, 2007

Gee, Don't Hurt Yourself!

Ok, folks, I need to whine a little.

Yesterday was Sunday - T worked from 6AM - 6PM. Now, I do understand that 12 hours is a long day of work. However, let's compare notes, shall we?

T - Woke up at 5:15 or thereabouts and left for work by 5:30.
Me - Woke up at 6:00 when I was pounced on by a small child in heart patterned footie pajamas.

T - Worked at a desk for 12 hours - (I'm not diminishing what he does - it's important!)
Me - Baked homemade oatmeal muffins, fed children said muffins, packed up muffins and children (still in footie pajamas), and went to the police department communications center with a thermos of milk to give daddy and his coworkers a morning snack. Took children to Starbucks to get coffee for me and a and friend who was coming over to take pictures of the kids for a mother's day present. While the kids were having their photo session, I made (from scratch, of course) slow-cooked sweet potato and lentil soup, and started cleaning. I cleaned the kitchen from inside out - throwing away tons of expired boxes of cake mix, open and half-eaten boxes of crackers, cookies, two open syrup containers, etc., etc., etc. Being the semi-earth friendly mommy that I am, I opened each of the boxes - tossed the contents into the trash, cut out any "Boxtops for Education" seals, and recycled everything possible. I ran laundry, I swept floors, I fed children, I entertained children, I took the pictures to be developed, I took the children to lunch, I put fuel in my mom-mobile, I picked up the pictures, I made biscuits to go with dinner, I looked up sports scores for my son, I played "princess" with my daughter, I cleaned all of the dishes, muffin pans, cookie sheets, and all other necessary tools of home cooking.

I called T at 4:30 to ask him to stop by and pick up more laundry soap on the way home.

At 6 (ish) - T walks in the door, the kids are hyper-excited and are screaming, running, jumping and playing tag (a sure sign they're tired - they know if they sit still they'll fall asleep). I put the finishing touches on dinner, set the table, call everyone to dinner. The kids need milk, and I thought T was going to do it, but he's disappeared again, so I take care of that.

We finish dinner, I send each of the kids in turn to get ready for bed, get my hugs and kisses, and T tucks them in. He then sits on the couch to watch television. I continue picking things up around the house, check my e-mail, finish a book, and occasionally glance at the TV. At 8:00 he decides he's going to bed. I still have laundry in the washer and dryer, and the house is still a mess. (Countdown to parents arrival - T minus 4 days). I wait for the dryer, fold and put away that laundry, leave the towels to run, and head off to bed - stopping of course on the way to pick up toys, feed the turtle, turn off lights, and plan the next days menu.

That's it - I've decided - I want a wife.


alienbody said...

Yawn....I'm tired just reading it.

Chickenbells said...

Yup...thats definatley what you need!